Advertise On EU-Digest

Annual Advertising Rates

9/22/06

IHT: EU Commissioner Wallstrom says she will not lead Sweden's Social Democrats


For the complete report in the International Herald Tribune click on this link

EU Commissioner Wallstrom says she will not lead Sweden's Social Democrats

STOCKHOLM, Sweden European Commission Vice President Margot Wallstrom said Thursday she does not want to become the new leader of Sweden's ousted Social Democrats, despite polls showing she is the top choice among voters.

A poll this week showed Wallstrom as the overwhelming favorite among voters to replace Persson, but she said Thursday she will not be a candidate for the post."It is of course flattering and warming that so many put their hope and faith in me," Wallstrom said in a statement. "And I am happy about the show of support for me. But for my own part I do not want to run as a candidate."

No comments: