Advertise On EU-Digest

Annual Advertising Rates

1/21/07

IHT: Hillary Clinton steps into U.S. presidential race - by Patrick Healy


For the complete report from the International Herald Tribune click on this link

Hillary Clinton steps into U.S. presidential race - by Patrick Healy

Six years after making history by winning a United States Senate seat as first lady, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton announced Saturday that she was taking the first formal step to seek the Democratic presidential nomination in 2008, a journey that would break yet more political barriers in her extraordinary and controversial career. "I'm in," she says in a statement on her new campaign Web site. "And I'm in to win." Clinton, 59, called for "bold but practical changes" in foreign, domestic, and national security policy and said that she would focus on finding "a right end" to the Iraq war, expanding health insurance, pursuing greater energy independence and strengthening the Social Security and Medicare programs for senior citizens.

"I have never been afraid to stand up for what I believe in or to face down the Republican machine," Clinton said on the Web site. "After nearly $70 million spent against my campaigns in New York and two landslide wins, I can say I know how Washington Republicans think, how they operate, and how to beat them."

No comments: