Advertise On EU-Digest

Annual Advertising Rates

4/24/09

Welcome to Holland?

EU-DigestWelcome to Holland?

From a Dutch reader comes this joke: "An Iranian refuge has been granted asylum in The Netherlands. Overjoyed, he approaches the first man he meets: “Mr. Dutchman, thank you for granting me asylum in your country!” The man looks puzzled. “Dutchman? Me? Come on, I ain’t no bleeding’ infidel. I am Moroccan, and proud of it!” The Iranian walks off. He spots another man. Again he thanks him for granting him asylum. This guy actually gets angry. “Who do you call a Dutchmen? I am Turkish!” The Iranian walks off again, and notices another man. He thanks him once more. This guy smiles, and says: “Look man, I’m black. I am not Dutch. I am from Suriname.” The Iranian is utterly confused. “But I am in Holland, right? Where are all the Dutch, then?”

Freedom of expression takes many forms and the best of that is being able to laugh about your own country or yourself.

No comments: