Advertise On EU-Digest

Annual Advertising Rates

7/10/11

Biking: Touring Europe on a bicycle can be a unique and rewarding experience - by Tim Hintze

I've taken a bike to Europe four times, spending 11 months wandering the roads by day, camping by night. When camping wasn't an option, I've stayed at hostels, B&Bs (bed and breakfast) and a couple of hotels. I've ridden in Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales, England, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Spain, Switzerland, Austria and Liechtenstein -- a country entirely within the Alps, about 15 miles long, home to 30,000-to-35,000 people and according to the British tabloid the Daily Mail, available for rent at £40,000 a night.

The bike has allowed me to travel to places off the beaten path. I seldom see the backpacker crowd who travel with their Eurorail passes or the tourists who travel by bus and can afford to stay in hotels. I'm rarely where they are. Last year, riding in Denmark and Sweden, I did not speak to a single American during my four weeks on the road. The Danes and the Swedes always approached me speaking their native language. I was told "we rarely see an American here" (Denmark), "we've never had an American here" (Sweden). I had similar experiences in France in 2008.

I have spent the night at numerous campgrounds in Europe, slept on the beach, in forests, rock-strewn pastures, abandoned farm houses and barns, and huddled up in ditches alongside the road.

For more: HeraldNet.com - Sports: Touring Europe on a bicycle can be a unique and rewarding experience

No comments: