Advertise On EU-Digest

Annual Advertising Rates

11/12/12

Belarus: Prize-winner Khalip: 'Freedom is indivisible'

Belarusian journalist Irina Khalip has been awarded the Hermann Kesten Prize for her courage in promoting democracy. She is under house arrest and was unable to attend Sunday's ceremony held in Darmstadt, Germany.

Mrs Khalip says about her house arrest:  "I'm only nominally free. In reality, I've been placed under house arrest. I'm not allowed to leave Belarus. I have to report to the police every Monday. I'm not allowed to leave my house after 10 p.m. and sometimes the police check late at night whether I'm at home."

In July 2013, the court will decide whether I will be sent to a penal colony, be released, or whether or not they will adjourn my imprisonment.


Read more: Prize-winner Khalip: 'Freedom is indivisible' | Europe | DW.DE | 11.11.2012

No comments: